Monday, December 04, 2006

Feast of all saints must be one of the most boring books anne rice has written. It is ultimately dreary and not a glimmer of her usual gothic sensuality can be detected. It sort of reminds me of pride and prejudice, no offence to the Jane Austen fans out there. I suppose the plot is pretty interesting, about the gens de color, white supremacy versus black oppression. And there are pretty controversial, if not violent scenes, like the gang rape of the ravishing Marie (i still can't believe it), or that Lisette is also the bastard daughter of Monsieur Phillipe. However, the book drags its feet throughout the the plot with incessant drunken drama from Christophe and his mother Juliet. The jealousy and hatred Cecille has for her own daughter Marie is so soap opera, I can imagine it in Days of Our Lives. Sigh. Such disappointment from my favourite author. Let's hope John Katzenbach does a good job in sparking my weary interest in The Analyst.

No comments: